Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Money vs Family

Here's a question for you. I was told the other day, by someone that I won't mention, that when it comes down to it, I need to figure out what is more important to me; money, or family. So I had to think about this for a while. Having money means being able to provide for my family and give them all the things that they want as well some things for myself. It also provides a roof over our heads and a light to read a book. We can't survive without it, we need it.

But then I thought about the rest of my family and close friends that all live in another state. What if something happens to them and I am not around to let them know how I feel about them before something really bad happens? What becomes more important then? The family with me now and the rest of the family that has been there my whole life, or money?

Why should anyone need to make that kind of decision? I need both of them. One of them is more important than the other, to me anyways. Family will always be number one. But when it comes down to it, no one can survive without some kind of earned income in the world today. Well, I say that loosely. I know a few people that are able to survive off income that is not earned by them, but they leaned how to play the system and hurt others that used to be close to them in the process. That is a whole other story though for another day.

The point here is, in a nutshell, there should be nothing more important than family. We should all do our parts to support our families and provide for them no matter what. Too many people lose sight of the most important things in life and they will do whatever they need to, in order to survive the way that their selfish selves want to, no matter who it is that they knock down on the way. Money is important, but not that important.

There are some people out there that need to take a serious look at themselves and the things that they have done to make them who they really are. Most of them won't do it though and they will continue to stab knives in backs and continue to hurt other people, just so long as they get what they want. The fact is, they don't see it as them doing anything wrong and they feel as if they are the victim. They can honestly believe their own lies and manipulation. They do it so often that they truly start to believe it themselves.

There may not be any help for these people and honestly would they accept it if it was offered? I really don't think so. But for you sane people out there when it really does come down to it, family is more important. But you will find that money is always and will always be around and needed, but the next time you are kissing your wife or wife to be, playing with your kids, painting a room for your grandparents, or gathering around for Thanksgiving dinner, look around and see if you can spot what really puts the smile on your face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written! I was very upset while having been emailing back and forth with a family member regarding a receipt, that I did not have, for a 2 digit dollar amount. This family member was adamant about needing it for expense purposes.

I started to doubt myself and almost think that I was the one making a big deal... until I read this.

Thank you!